...

Chimes of Freedom

Chimes of Freedom, The Songs of Bob Dylan, Amnesty international, bob dylanAmnesty International's Chimes of Freedom- The Songs of Bob Dylan has impressed me more times over than I can count. This musical celebration of AI's 50 year devotion to human rights and freedom of speech touches every corner of music that is created today, and what better artist to set the stage for the universally invaluable (yet, often not protected) gift of freedom, than Dylan.


Since a few of the covers/tributes featured on this gigantic album have been mainstays on my youtube playlist for a while, I don't know why I didn't write this sooner. Maybe I was thrown off by the fact that Ke$ha was even allowed to sing a Dylan song, but I guess they redeemed themselves by including some of my favorites such as Zee Avi, Brent Dennen, Ziggy Marley, Johnny Cash, Adele, State Radio, and brothers Darren & Chuck Criss (of Freelance Whales). 

Although I prefer the Madeleine Peyroux's version, even Miley Cyrus' cover was good (seriously). A country spin on "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" seemed really natural and showcased the popstar's true range, which honestly surprised the hell out of me.

Here are a few of my favorites from the album, both live performances and the recordings:

Blake Mills & Danielle Haim (of Haim):


My Morning Jacket:

Miley Cyrus (don't judge until you listen):


Ziggy Marley:

Adele (of course):



Silversun Pickups:

Darren & Chuck Criss:

Evan Rachel Wood (amazing):


Obviously there are tons other great songs on the album that would make this post about 40 scrolls long if I were to include them all. With over 70 tracks, I would definitely recommend give them all a listen or dare I say, just buy the album. :)

0 comments:

 

Where to stalk me

passiONEdrop

Insta-Snaps

What I'm Listening To